Thursday, July 3, 2008

Google Image Search: Word & Picture #55

Here is how this works:
I put in a word into the Google image search.
I post the picture of the first thing that comes back.

Today's Word:
"America"

Today's Picture:


The above map is a state-by-state representation of the minimum wage laws of America. The states in green have hourly wages higher than the federal minimum. The states in blue have the same minimum wage rate as the federal government. The states in red have rates lower than the federal government. The states in yellow have NO minimum wage laws on record.

I was surprised by this image search. I was expecting the Grand Canyon. I was expecting an eagle or something representing freedom. When you search for an image of America, you get a minimum wage map.

I love living in the US. Right now, I do not want to live any where else. But that does not mean I think America is perfect. We have areas in which we need to improve: consistent foreign diplomacy, health care, taking care of our elders, teaching our children, being less wasteful, etc. But, overall, it is a great country and I feel lucky to be born here.

Happy Birthday, America. And happy belated birthday to Meg Hartig (July 3rd)

Have a safe & fun Fourth of July.

No comments: